Fund for Innovative Teaching (FIT) Grants
Call for Proposals for Academic Year 2016-17
Funds are available for small grants supportive of innovative undergraduate and/or graduate, and postgraduate teaching at Emory. Grants range from $500-$3000. FIT Grants are open to all full time faculty (both tenure and non-tenure track) and are available for both individual faculty members and faculty working as teams. Priority will be given to those whose proposals promise long-term educational effects within the Emory community.
Only one proposal per project will be considered. Applicants must have their own Smartkey account or be connected to a department that has a Smartkey account.
Funds will support a variety of new approaches:
- courses that support recent discoveries in research and take that research into the classroom;
- new interdisciplinary courses that move across departments or across schools;
- courses that use creative pedagogical approaches (some examples: developing a student exhibit using materials in special collections, development of virtual “rounds” in a hospital, or flipping a classroom).
Applicants will be asked to supply a 2-3 page proposal (not including the syllabus) that includes
- the proposed innovation
- course outline or proposed syllabus
- schedule for intergration of the proposed project in the classroom setting.
Grant proposals will be judged on the basis of three criteria:
- the suitability of the project for the areas described above;
- the clarity of educational purpose;
- the proposed budget being reasonable and sufficient to accomplish the aims of the study.
Grantees will be required to
- Attend two meetings in the academic year of the grant to share information on projects with other recipients. The first meeting will be held on Friday, September 16th 1-2:30pm in the Jones Room of the Woodruff Library.
- Provide a report that includes
- A Final syllabus
- Student evaluations that include students’ opinions of the new approach and how it affected their learning◦
- Plans for the future of this topic
- Only 75% of total approved funding amount will be disbursed upon selection and receipt of your departmental Smartkey. The remaining 25% will be sent upon submission of the project summary report at the end of the semester.
- The funds may be used on a reimbursement basis. (However gift cards of any kind are not allowed)
- Funds may be used for direct and incremental expenses only.
- The funds may not be used to offset salary.
- Money will not be transferred until the beginning of the new fiscal year (early September 2016).
- FIT grants are contingent on CFDE budget approval from the Provost’s office and are not guaranteed.
Please click here to apply online by uploading your completed document. Application deadline is May 13, 2016.