Sit Down and Write with the CFDE!
- Tuesdays 11am-noon in Kaldi's and virtually via Facebook
- Fridays 11am-noon in Peet's and virtually via Facebook
Join the CFDE—virtually or in-person—for Sit Down and Write. Sit Down and Write is a great way for writers to structure their time, boost their productivity, and connect with others.
The formula is simple:
- On Tuesdays at 11 am, we gather at Kaldi Coffee on the Emory campus in the DUC
- On Fridays at 11 am, we gather in Peet's Coffee and Tea on the Emory campus in the Woodruff Library
- Or connect via Facebook
- We write in silence for an hour, and catch-up either online or over coffee afterwards
- We begin by writing for 25 minutes, then we take a 5-minute break to check in, write for 25 more minutes, then take a few minutes at the end to catch up.
Sit Down and Write is a great way to carve out dedicated writing time and make progress on thesis chapters, journal articles, and grant applications. While an hour doesn’t sound like much, it’s amazing what you can get done if you really focus. The discipline and shared sense of purpose that comes from writing with others also keeps you accountable and reminds you that you aren’t alone.
To participate in person, just come join us at Kaldi Coffee in the DUC (Tuesdays) or Peet's in the Woodruff Library (Fridays)!
To participate virtually on Facebook, join the CFDE-organized Facebook group.
To follow along on Twitter, respond to the @SUWTues / @SUWTUK / @SUWTNA tweets with information about what you’re working on and the progress you made during the session. Be sure to use the hashtag #suwtues / #suwtuk / #suwtna so others can see you, cheer you on, commiserate, and offer advice.
Sit Down and Write with the CFDE is inspired by Shut Up and Write Tuesday, a growing international community of practice. Assistant Professor and Andrew W Mellon Faculty Fellow for Nursing and the Humanities Kylie Smith is the North American host for the international Shut Up and Write Tuesdays network. CFDE associate director Allison Adams hosts the in-person Sit Down and Write with the CFDE sessions and the Facebook group. Your hosts tell you when to start, when to rest, when to start again, and when to stop.
For more about the international Shut Up and Write Tuesdays movement, visit this blog.