Skip Navigation

The Fund for Innovative Teaching (FIT) Grant

Current FIT grant recipients please contact Donna Troka with questions: dtroka@emory.edu.

To read about the programs funded by FIT grants in 2012-13, click here.

Call for Proposals for Fall 2014

Funds will be available for small grants supportive of innovative undergraduate and/or graduate, and postgraduate teaching at Emory. Grants will range from $500-$3000. FIT Grants are open to all full time faculty (both tenure and non-tenure track) and are available for both individual faculty members and faculty working as teams. Priority will be given to those whose proposals promise long-term educational effects within the Emory community. Only one proposal per project will be considered. Applicants must have their own Smartkey account or be connected to a department that has a Smartkey account.

Funds will support a variety of new approaches:

  • courses that support recent discoveries in research and take that research into the classroom;

  • new interdisciplinary courses that move across departments or across schools; 

  • courses that use creative pedagogical approaches (some examples: developing a student exhibit using materials in special collections, development of virtual “rounds” in a hospital, or flipping a classroom)

Please apply by Monday, April 28, 2014 with a 2-3 page proposal (not including your syllabus) that includes:

1) the proposed innovation
2) course outline or proposed syllabus
3) budget
4) schedule for integration of the proposed project in the classroom setting

Applications should be emailed to Donna Troka at: dtroka@emory.edu

Grant proposals will be judged on the basis of three criteria: 1) the suitability of the project for the areas described above; 2) the clarity of educational purpose; 3) the proposed budget being reasonable and sufficient to accomplish the aims of the study.

Grantees will be required to provide a report that includes 1) a final syllabus; 2) student evaluations that include students’ opinions of the new approach and how it affected their learning; and 3) Plans for the future of this topic. 75% of funding will be disbursed upon selection and receipt of your departmental Smartkey, and the remaining 25% upon submission of the project summary report at the end of the semester. The funds may be used on a reimbursement basis. Funds may be used for direct and incremental expenses only.

FIT Funds may not be used to offset salary.

Money will not be transferred until the beginning of the new fiscal year (late August or early September 2014).